Monday, January 26, 2009

Calgon TAKE me (far) Away.

I am not certain that I've been this sleep deprived since I was a distributor for the dairy farm in our home, what almost 2 years ago. I need sleep, good sleep, un-interrupted sleep. The kind of sleep that when you wake up you aren't giving everyone the evil eye for no reason at all. Its tough when your hubby works 3rd shift - I mean yes I still have help - but I'm the mom ya know. Addi is in an odd funk....she is sleeping horribly and I don't understand it. I'd like to chalk it up to maybe molars or even just more teeth but for the past 2 weeks off and on the sleeping has gotten way off track. This past week was even worse and then it started again last night. From day one I've been a "cry it out mom." Is it bothersome? Yes. Do I like to hear her crying? No...but for us it worked. She'd cry for a little bit and then realize we weren't coming back and go to sleep. She goes down at 8:00 and is usually up between 6:15 - 6:45. Just like her momma being an early bird but this is getting out of hand, and honestly I feel like I'm about to lose it. She's screaming around 1-2 am. If I go in there she wants to rock, so we rock and immediately she's out but as soon as I try to lay her down its death grip and not letting go, the screaming starts again. Maybe its just something we are going through but honestly I'm frazzled. I've been taking her to bed with me if I've gotten no where by 3 and that is even worse. Again never have we let her sleep with us (other than when she's been sickly and that is how we all managed to get any sleep), just wasn't an option with us but at some point some sleep is better than none - and honestly sleeping with a kid is ridiculous. They hog the bed, root and slap in the face (not intentionally). I'm so sleep deprived that I feel like I could cry at any moment - just frazzled I tell ya. And trying to get up, get a shower and be on time to work is a whole different story. Temper tantrums don't even begin to explain the maniac I'm dealing with in the mornings. I'm just so caught off guard at where all is this coming from - any advice is welcomed NOW. Its just not the way I like to start my mornings - weeks for that matter. I know terrible two's are around the corner but what do I do with these fits. I've been ignoring her when she starts it and then she goes and mid fit hits her head on a wall, not intentionally its just a result of the drama. No blood, we're good - I continue to ignore. I know she isn't going to be perfect or even good all the time for that matter but this is wearing me out. It doesn't help that daddy comes home in the morning and starts playing matador with her running at his blankie and all is fine. Kind of like I've been making it all up....thanks Addi, now Daddy thinks I'm crazy too - ha!
I kind of would just like to know I'm not alone here. Please throw me a life saver or at this point a xanax would do just fine. Jk.....I'm trying to find humor in the midst of my delirium.

3 comments:

Amanda O'Rear said...

I have plenty of xanax if you need some. LOL. Seriously...it will pass Andi. Maggie is 7 and we still have times where she won't sleep. Right now she is up and down all night...and she has to get up and go to school 5 days a week. It is hard...but they are phases and some kids just go through them while others don't. I don't know what it could be other than she knows you are eventually going to come in and rock her...she wants attention..b/c I know she is so deprived of it? LOL. I would just stop going in there and rocking her...just let her scream it out if you know she is okay. Also...if it isn't teeth has she ever had ear infections? I know those can make things horrible at night!! I'll pray for you guys. I know how frazzled these things make us Mom's. It is hard...I have 3 of them...and a new phase is always coming when another one ends. You are a great Mama...just in a tough spot right now.
Much Love!

Heidi said...

Hey girlie! I'm so like you... gotta have my sleep. One thing you may try is going in but NOT picking he up, just pat and say it's nighttime and we can't rock. She will pitch a fit no doubt, but keep at it. The doc told me something similar when T wanted to nurse at night, give water in bottle instead... they will begin to realize it's not worth it if they aren't getting what they really want (in this case, your attention) and stay asleep. Don't know if it'll work in this situation but you can try! So sorry, these little "seasons" can feel like they last YEARS sometimes! Hang in there!

The Messer Family said...

Andi, Bella did the EXACT same thing at the exact same time as Addi did. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers b/c I got knocked up again and then myself wanted to sleep alone so Bella ended up in the guest bed with daddy...hehehe. I'm totally there with you on the lack of sleep, but at least I have newborn to blame. it's rough with a toddler who you should know needs to be sleeping alone by now. Good luck on finding a solution and let me know if you do bc we have got to get Bella back in her bed immediately!!!