Thursday, December 18, 2008

More than a babysitter

The transition of me returning to work was an easy one for us. Not because I couldn't hack being a stay at home mom or didn't enjoy my time with my beautiful little girl but because of Miss Erma. Miss Erma is more than a babysitter - she has become part of our family. I must say I'm one lucky mom. From the day we met with her to discuss Addison coming to stay with her I never once felt uneasy about the situation. Josh & I went with to her completely unprepared. I mean, yes I had read many websites & knew what I was supposed to ask. We went with our list in hand and NEVER once got it out. We sat down with her & she began talking about how she ran her ship. She gave us references (other than that she's one of my bff's relative), she talked about how she liked to keep supplies in stock, that she LOVED to give baby massages if that was ok with us....heck I like massages so I knew surely Addi would too, what girl doesn't right? We left there that day thanking God for providing a grandmother not a babysitter. She does this because she loves these kids not because she has to. I mean sewiously (as Addi says) how many of us could keep 4 babies all under the age of 2 all day, every day and not leave the house at all. I can ensure you its not something I wish to add to my resume!!! Add teething, colic, diarrhea, spit up, no naps, feedings, diaper changes.....again, all under the age of 2. Which brings me to the only part of Miss Erma I didn't like - she only keeps them until age 2. I do understand, she basically feeds to Hixson First Baptist & they send her referrals as well. I have no problem with HFB, actually I've only heard how wonderful their daycare is however I have had my heart set on sending her to Hixson United Methodist. HUM is where both Seth & Eli have gone. They both have peanut allergies so I feel like if my sis in law has trusted them I can too. At this point we do not know if Addi will have this allergy (please say a prayer, we have her 18 month visit on Friday and will be taking a spoonful of peanut butter with us to that visit). I just have enjoyed going to their Christmas Programs & the Lewis family has grown up with a teacher there so its nice to have those ties. The downfall is that they don't take them until they are 3, so at this point she's on both waiting list. Then I begin to wonder if its right to move her at 2 then again at 3 when she's gotten used to a new place & attached to new teachers. I'm telling you right now, we are one lucky family - Addi is one lucky little girl. Miss Erma asked me last week if we had her on a waiting list anywhere, that basically she was willing to keep Addison until she was 3. One of the other little girls mother had asked if she'd keep her until 3 b/c of a similar daycare delimma & because Addi & Kendall play well together, because Miss Erma LOVES those Addi hugs & because its hard to find "good" parents (not that others aren't at all, but that she has to be careful as well, I mean after all she's keeping children in her home - it gets tricky and can be sticky situations at times). Needless to say I got a little teary eyed. This is huge for us, I get so sad thinking about moving her. Addison loves her and I see that Miss Erma loves Addison too. Plus she'll get to hang out with Maddox more too. Miss Erma is not just her babysitter, she's an extra grandma to her. She cares about her, she cares about our family & that just melts my heart. So who is this wonderful woman....this is a picture of her. I'm hoping to get one of her & Addi soon - you would think I'd already thought of that huh?

I honestly just can't say enough about her and I truly feel blessed God has not given her to me but to my little girl.

Merry Christmas!!

1 comment:

Amanda O'Rear said...

She must be a wonderful woman. I am so glad you guys found such a great caregiver for your sweet little girl! That is wonderful!!